Shiatsu Self Massage for Neck Pain
Neck Pain is very common and is usually caused by poor posture or stress. Shiatsu self massage is an effective method of relieving neck pain caused by those nasty tension knots that make you suffer. Yes, you can get instant relief – just try these simple techniques.
Warm Up First
Before applying any pressure to your neck its a good idea to do a few gentle warm up exercises both to relax your neck relaxation and improve your neck mobility.
1. Raise your eyes to the ceiling as far as you can – push your lower jaw out and hold this position for 5 seconds and try to extend the movement just a little more. Next, look down, without bending forward, and hold this position for 5 seconds. Repeat slowly 3-4 times.
2. Turn your head to the left as far as you can and hold this position for 5 seconds. Then extend this movement a little. Next turn your head to the right and hold that position for 5 seconds. Extend the movement a little if you can. You can help yourself extend further by placing your right hand on the right side of your face and applying a little pressure when turning left and vice versa for turning to the right.
3. From a vertical position, incline your head 45º to the left – extend. Repeat the movement to the right. For further extension, place your hand on side of your face and gently assist the extension.
Once you’ve loosened up your neck and shoulders do the following 3 exercises:
Shiatsu Self Massage for Neck Pain – How To Do It
1. Place your right hand at the base of the left hand side of your neck. Press your fingers into the muscle and firmly pull your hand across the area of your lower neck and upper shoulder towards your clavicle or collarbone. Repeat 4-5 times on each side – you can immediately feel tension subsiding.
2. Place your left thumb at the top of the back left hand ridge of your neck at the base of your skill. Rotate the 4 fingers of your left hand to the right so that they contact the right-hand side ridge of your neck at the same level at the base of the skull. Incline your head forward a little and squeezer your thumb and fingers towards the middle of your neck by pinching and raising the muscle. The pressure exerted by your thumb should be greater than that from your fingers. With each subsequent squeeze move the position of your thumb and fingers lower down your neck, towards the base of your neck. Try to squeeze at leaf 5 times. Repeat the process with your right hand and remember it is mostly the thumb in each case that is doing the work.
3. Place both thumbs in the same position as in the previous exercise on the upper left and right hand ridges of your neck at the base of your skull. With your fingers resting on your head – tilt your head back as far as you comfortably can and begin to massage the point under your thumbs in a circular fashion. This can sometimes be quite painful – so begin softly and gradually build up the pressure. Massage these points for 1 to 2 minutes.
Its a good idea to not just use these techniques when you have neck or shoulder pain. Try to do them regularly and chances are that you won’t experience tension and its accompanying pain in the first place.
If your stress caused neck pain and tension persist make an appointment to see Carlos Praniauskas at Shiatsu Toronto for a professional Shiatsu treatment.
Find Out How We Can Help You
Contact us at 416-788-3187 to ask a question or book an appointment.
If you’re a new client, ask about our introductory offer.